Saturday, March 19, 2016

Adventures in Korea: Happy Mart


What do you eat? 
How do you shop for food?
Is it safe to eat?
Is it all weird stuff?

Those are just some of the questions I’ve heard from family and friends about living in Korea. I am not living in an episode of MASH. Korea is a great mixture of traditional open air markets and modern big box stores. There’s a little bit of everything for everyone.

We have two “mom and pop” grocery stores within a short walk of us. A few months ago before the great freeze of death winter, I took a stroll dragged my three kids to one and took some photos.

Say hello to Happy Mart. 


It’s a small but clean store that includes the basics of rice, chili pepper paste, vegetables, fruits, seafood, and many stacks of instant noodles. 


They even have tons of Korean snacks like these rice cakes (Tteok and Chapssaltteok).



Fairly normal, right?! 


Downside to walking to Happy Mart is that I only buy what I can carry while keeping up with two walking kids and a heavy baby on my back. 

This trip’s objective was to pick up items for lunches. Due to my diet restrictions (youngest has several intolerances/allergies) that means a lot of rice and vegetables for me! Happy Mart is more expensive than the open air markets, but it’s closer and open everyday. This trip cost a little under 12,000 won (about $10).  



Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it’s fairly normal overall. If those willing and able, there’s lots of yummy food here to eat!

From my husband's trip to Happy Mart one week.

No comments: